A car blew up and burned in a Greeley parking lot on Tuesday.

The Greeley Fire Department responded to a report of a vehicle explosion in the 2700 block of 10th St. at 4:15pm on January 17.  Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire with their on-board tank water.

Cause of the Fire

The fire was caused by the vehicle occupant lighting a cigarette while gasoline vapors were present.  Apparently he had gas can in the trunk of the vehicle and that he could smell the gasoline fumes; however, he didn’t think there was a fire danger because the gas can was almost empty.  When he lit the cigarette, the vehicle was immediately engulfed in flames which caused an explosion that blew the windows out of the vehicle.  The explosion was heard from several blocks away.  Glass flew nearly 40 feet.

The occupant of the vehicle had minor complaints of injuries and was transported to the hospital by Banner Paramedics for further evaluation.

Car Fire in the 2700 block of 10th St.
Greeley Fire Department

More From Power 102.9 NoCo - KARS-FM